Bulgaria is a fascinating country with a rich and exciting history. Despite being a relatively small country, Bulgaria has a lot to offer tourists and history buffs alike. From its ancient ruins to its more recent political history, here are 6 interesting facts about the history of Bulgaria that you may not have known!
1. Bulgaria is one of the oldest countries in Europe. It was founded in 681 AD by the Bulgars, a tribe from Central Asia.
2. The first Bulgarian state was known as the First Bulgarian Empire. It was one of the most powerful empires in medieval Europe and lasted almost two centuries.
3. Bulgaria was the birthplace of the Cyrillic alphabet. It was invented by Saint Cyril, a missionary from Thessaloniki, in the 9th century.
4. The Bulgarian Orthodox Church is one of the oldest in the world. It dates back to the 9th century and is affiliated with the Eastern Orthodox Church.
5. Bulgaria has a rich musical tradition. Some of the most famous Bulgarian musicians include singer-songwriter Valya Balkanska and virtuoso violinist Vesselin Paraschkevov.
6. Bulgaria is home to some of the oldest human remains in Europe. The skeleton of a man known as “Balkan Man”